Friday, February 20, 2009

I don't want to grow up! (and an answer to a tag)

It is amazing to me how I have watched with sweet anticipation all of Lizzy’s life for her to grow and move onto new things. It seems like, as an infant, Herb and I were always bragging about the most exciting new accomplishment or achievement, watching milestones as if all of our lives depended on this little person advancing to the next level of human-ness. It is one of the greatest joys of parenthood, to watch them grow and advance. But recently I had a revelation of sorts, and really I want all of this growing up business it to STOP! I don’t want my little girl to grow up! I want to have her sweet and small forever. With her beautiful innocent perfect blue eyes and her precious little wisdom.

I’m happy for this revelation, maybe it will help me slow down and enjoy her more…all of my littles more. It’s come at the right time, as all true revelations do, I need to be reminded. Because someday I will miss the messes and whining, right? It is very real that they are only our own for a moment, how happy I am for the gift of being a mother for those short moments…
In perfect sync with my revelation, she said the BEST thing the other day. I gave her a squeeze and said I love you and she said, “Mom, I never want to grow up.”
PS-Pam tagged me to post the 4th photo in my 4th “My Pictures” folder, this was it! Again, perfect with my revelation. So blessed am I.

4 comments:

pam said...

That is so sweet. I'm feeling all sentimental right now! I don't want any of the kids or babies in our family to grow up either, let alone my little Jackson! By the way, doesn't it seem like Lizzy is always in perfect sync with you and what you are thinking??? I know it's not ALL the time but always when it really matters, it seems!

sweet pickles said...

I've been feeling the same way. Just trying to enjoy every day a bit more.

And I love the quote below.

You are back in full blogging force, look at you!

jenn said...

Amen, my friend. It seems so hard sometimes to get through each day and yet looking back the time seems to go in some cruel warp-speed! They grow up too fast. So lucky are we to have these little ones to love and share our lives with.

PS- how was your class? Can't wait to hear about it this weekend! ;)

Dixie Packer said...

well said! i feel as though i constantly need the reminder to enjoy each of my kids' moments